Places to Visit
Hill of Tarvit Mansion House
The mansion house is reached off the A916 road near Ceres. The house originally was built on the site known as Wemysshall and this was remodelled in 1906 by one of Scotland's greatest architects, Sir Robert Lorimer. The house has splendid furnishings and fittings as well as lovely gardens and grounds
An L-shaped, 5 storey building built between 1550 and 1579. In 1611, it was acquired by Sir John Scott- scholar, author, geographer and map maker- whose book "The Staggering State of Scot's Statesmen" accused many well-known Scottish politicians of fraud and trickery. The keys for the tower are available from Hill of Tarvit Mansion House nearby.
Fife Folk Museum
The Museum is situated in and around the 17th century Tolbooth- Weigh House of Ceres, a charming and picturesque village a few miles south-east of Cupar. The collection illustrates the domestic, economic and social life of bygone days in Fife with special emphasis on agriculture and its ancillary trades.
In the main centre of the village of Ceres sits 'The Provost', a three foot high stone-carved figure set in a twelve-foot pillared structure. Discovered overgrown and forgotten in the grounds of a nearby house, this little stone gentleman (said to have been sculpted in the 17th century to represent a former church provost) resumed a position of importance in village life in 1939.
Situated in the village of Ceres the Pottery specialises in the style of the traditional Wemyss Ware and is noted for the quality of the painting and the beauty of the colours.
Dura Den and Kemback
Like a small Highland Glen set in the heart of Fife's peaceful scenery, Dura Den, a few miles east of Ceres, runs dramatically through a narrow cleft of countryside bounded by wooded hillside and curiously moulded sandstone cliffs. Adding to the scenic interest is a tributary of the River Eden- the Ceres Burn- which accompanies the road through its winding passage.
The Cross, Cupar
At the head of the Crossgate in Cupar stands the monument which symbolises the ancient right of the Burgh community, reaffirmed by grant of King Robert 1 in 1327, to hold a market for the surrounding area. A Royal Burgh for at least six centuries, Cupar was the former county town of Fife and is still the local administrative centre of the area. Because of the Tolbooth and the Law courts of former years it used to be said that, "He that will to Cupar maun to Cupar" .That is if anyone was going to Cupar it was because they had been summoned by Law. It is now a busy shopping and social centre with many active clubs in the town.
Cupar Parish Church
Original building erected in 1415 with changes in 1620. The old kirkyard contains the Martyr's Tomb in memory of the covenanters executed in 1680.
Douglas Bader Gardens
Situated in Duffus Park, Cupar. The gardens are designed for use principally by the disabled. Raised beds at different levels are blended in with rock gardens, waterfalls sheltered seating and an aviary.
On Mount Hill, about 3 miles north of Cupar, is the conspicuous 100 ft. column erected in 1824 to the memory of Sir John Hope, the famous soldier who fought in the battle of Corunna.
David Crichton Statue
At the top of the hill near the Cupar railway station is the imposing statue of David Maitland Makgill Crichton. Born in 1801 he was a famous free Church man and a radical politician. When the Edinburgh and Northern Railway company only planned a level crossing for the use of townfolk, he fought for a safer more convenient bridge.
Dairsie Church and Bridge
Lying just south of the neat and tidy village of Dairsie is the old Dairsie Church, the exterior of which remains much as it was when first built by Archbishop John Spottiswoode in 1621. Adjacent to the church is the renovated Dairsie Castle now privately restored. Below the church is the narrow triple-arched Dairsie Bridge under which flows the River Eden on its way towards its estuary at Guardbridge. Around 460 years old, this quaint stone-built bridge carries the crest of the man who ordered its building , Archbishop James Beaton.
Completed in 1839, Collesie Church is a T-shaped turreted building overlooking the fertile Howe of Fife, a favourite area of King James V who often wandered around this district in disguise, partly in order to find out what his subjects really thought of him.
The Royal Palace of Falkland
Towering high in the heart of Falkland and providing a magnificent centre-piece to this old-worlde village, stands the remarkable and impressive Royal Palace of Falkland, a country residence in the 16th and 17th century of the Stuart Kings and Queens. The Palace was built between 1501 and 1541 by James IV and James V and has many magnificent features. The lovely Gardens contain the original Royal Tennis Court built in 1539.
Strathmiglo Tolbooth Steeple
Strathmiglo was an important religious centre in the days of the Celtic Church and it became a Burgh of Barony in 1605. Standing prominently in the village is Tolbooth Steeple which was erected in 1734 and which bears a distinct resemblance to the Tower House and spire in nearby Auchtermuchty. The handsome, 70ft. steeple was built in five stages and a sundial and armorial panel can be seen on the second stage. It is topped by an octagonal spire.
On the main street in the town of Newburgh situated on the banks of the River Tay. Has a varied temporary exhibition programme and a historical reference library. Recent exhibitions include "The Picts in Fife". Discovering the pictish sites in the ancient Kingdom of Fife..
Ruins of Abbey of what was once an impressive building on the outskirts of Newburgh, founded in 1178 for the monks of the Tyronensian order.
On the west side of Lindores Loch sits the very old small picturesque church of Abdie with interesting stones and setting.
The Lomond Hills
The gentle Lomond Hills, the highest of which - West Lomond stands at 1713 ft. are very dear to the people of Fife. The area offers lovely walks, picnic area and marvellous views. Hang gliders can be seen on warm summer days catching the thermals.
Birnie Loch Nature Reserve
Off the B937Ladybank road near Collessie. A wetland made up of open water and a large marsh with easy flat walks.Birnie Loch is good for many species of ducks while nearby Gaddon loch is more open quieter and excels in wading birds.
2 miles west of Cupar on the A91. Incorporating the Scottish Deer Centre with, deer herds, ranger led tours, falconry displays and exhibitions.
See Also[ Area Outline | Annual Events | Recreation ]
Return to Home Page Home Page